Athletic News - 9/10/19
The Pirates fall season is underway. The varsity and JV teams began their pre-season workouts on August 19th. The modified teams got started with a meeting of all athletes and coaches in the HS cafeteria on the first day of school followed by practices and tryouts on the second day of school. We had approximately 410 varsity and JV athletes and 250 modified athletes sign up for teams this season.
Fall 2019 Varsity Teams results as of 9/10
- Boys soccer- The team is off to a fast start winning their first four games. Victories over Bronxville (in the Rockland vs Westchester Challenge at Lakeland), Yorktown, North Rockland, and Albertus Magnus have been done with timely scoring and great defense. The Pirates have outscored their opponents 8-1 allowing only 1 goal in 4 games. Next up will be a home game vs Keio on Wednesday Sept. 11 at 4:30.
- Girls soccer has only had two games to date and are currently 1-1 on the season. The team opened the season with an 8-0 win over Yonkers and then dropped a hard fought game to a strong Rye team 2-1. The team will be back in action on Tuesday Sept. 9th at Beacon HS and then host rival Albertus Magnus on Sept. 18th.
- Field Hockey opened their season with a tough loss to Suffern but then bounced back with a 3-3 tie vs John Jay Cross River. The team will take on two perennial powers this week starting with a trip to Somers on Tuesday Sept. 10th and then returning home to face Lakeland on Thursday Sept. 12th.
- Girls Volleyball is off to a strong start winning 2 of their first three matches. After a thrilling 5 set loss to Clarkstown North in the opening match, the team swept Lincoln 3-0 and then defeated Rye 3-1. The team will host Saunders on Tuesday Sept 10th and then travel to Section One powerhouse Hendrick Hudson on Friday Sept. 13th.
- The girls tennis team has had two matches so far and have come up on the short end of the 4-3 score. They will look to rebound with three more matches this coming week. The team hosts Nanuet on Tuesday Sept. 10th and Clarkstown South on Thursday Sept 12th before travelling to Albertus Magnus on Friday Sept 13th.
- Girls swimming had their first ever home swim meet at Nauraushaun Swim Club this past Saturday. The team was excited to host this outdoor meet and the team made the home meet even more memorable with a 92-75 win over Brewster. The team is next in action on Tuesday Sept. 10th travelling to Yonkers.
- The boys and girls cross country teams will open up their dual meet with a meet at Sleepy Hollow on Tuesday Sept 10th. The teams then will head off to invitationals on Saturday Sept 14th with the boys competing in both the Warwick Wave Mania Meet as well as the Return to the Mountain Invitational in NJ. The girls team will be on the road on Saturday Sept 14th at the Briarwood Invitational in Philadelphia.
- The varsity football, hosting their first game in over a year, defeated Westlake 7-0. The team competing in Class B this year got off to a quick start in the game with a 35 yard TD pass from QB Matt Daly to WR Matt Vilaboy. The defense then held on, sealing the victory and shutout with an interception by Anthony Sassano in the final minute. The team will travel to Ardsley for their next game on Sept. 14th.
News and Notes
- Congratulations to Pearl River staff member and long time varsity girls soccer coach Tim Peabody who was inducted into the New York State High School Girls Soccer Hall of Fame on Saturday Sept. 7th. Tim had a career record of 393-126-41 and led Pearl River to their first State title ever in 2017.
- Congratulations to former Pearl River softball player Katie O’Flynn on being elected into the New York State High School Softball Hall of Fame. Katie was a 3 time All State Selection and first team All State twice to go along with being a 5 time All Section selection. Katie pitched Pearl River to the Class A State title her junior year with an 18-3 record and 0.85 era.
- The Homecoming pep rally and bonfire is scheduled for Friday night Sept 20th. The night will kick off with dinner for all the varsity and JV fall athletes in the cafeteria at 6:30 followed by the Pep Rally under the lights on the stadium field. The bonfire will conclude the festivities. The Homecoming football game will be Saturday Sept. 21st at 1:30 vs Byram Hills. The Homecoming dance will be held at 7:00pm on Saturday Sept 21st for all 9th- 12th graders.
Let’s Go Pirates!